Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Be Transformed

Scripture advises us to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. Last night, I was kept awake, and then repeatedly awakened by physical pain due to a recent accident. It was not until morning that I realized that every time I woke up, my mind had been reciting the Jesus prayer: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." I have been diligently training myself for over 35 years to "run" that prayer in my mind whenever nothing else deliberate is going on. I guess it works.
This is no more than re-programming, perhaps, but how much better it is than to be rehearsing worry or self-hatred or some other destructive thing. I am grateful today for the difference many years of practice can make. Peace in place of fear or self-pity - no contest! I give thanks today for the person who first taught me that prayer - one of my first spiritual directors, a priest who heard the worst things I ever did and loved me anyway. May Fr. Jim Keely be having a pint and a laugh in heaven!

2 comments:

  1. Awww... I would love to find a spiritual director like that. A pint and a laugh- I love that :) My idea of heaven is no panic attacks ever! Do you think it's possible? Thanks for sharing this prayer. I am going to try to rehearse it too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too, kiddo! And of course it's possible. I'd say it's inevitable! May God richly bless your journey, today and all days.

    ReplyDelete