Friday, September 27, 2013

Gossip and Idle Chatter



•A person too who would talk with thee in idle words, or of the world; or who murmurs at what he cannot remedy or prevent, but who would distress thee more should he be a tattler between friends and foes, thou shalt not admit him to thee, but at once give him thy benediction should he deserve it. 

Be aware of any person or group who by any lack of Charity in word or deed would worry you needlessly or would draw you into sin.  Stay clear of such persons, except if they seek spiritual renewal and blessing.

Reflection:  Life is too short to spend with people who make me lose my peace.  This is not to say I don’t get drawn into things, I certainly do.  Especially if the person knows where my “buttons” are.  But for the most part, I have no discourse with those who might cause me trouble or draw me into gossip or other dark places.  People who are like this and want to change, and are willing to change, can be worked with.  I have seen it in AA.  

One will occasionally run into someone like this in a church setting.  They like nothing better than setting the cat among the pigeons, so to speak.  Because many of us have an innocent heart, we can be drawn in almost before we realize it.  It may be necessary to extricate ourselves from the relationship, although we do not cease to love the person.  I consider myself too weak spiritually to deal with this kind of person, as they tempt me to anger, which is already my chief weakness!  This point of the rule is important, and I don’t think I’ve ever considered it more important than now, in my old age.

Whether the person I decide to stay clear of acts in such manner consciously or not, it is a mercy to myself to avoid the chaos they bring, and a mercy to them because it avoids encouraging their behavior.  

No comments:

Post a Comment