Friday, October 4, 2013

The Exercise of Authority



•Let thy servant be a discreet, religious, not tale-telling man, who is to attend continually on thee, with moderate labour of course, but always ready.
 
If you are placed in authority over another, whether those in your employ or in business choose them wisely, seek persons who are trustworthy and if possible spiritual, and honest in their service.  Treat all under your authority with Charity.

Reflection:  I have no one over whom I have authority, but I have experienced being a supervisor, and I have raised children (well, one child and one grandchild), with varying success.  The one thing I have come to know is that it is critical to be honest, kind and firm as regards rules, and to be utterly profligate as regards love.  We are told to do justice, have mercy and walk humbly – these practices dictate our behavior towards anyone over whom we might have authority.  (Cait, I am too tired to check whether this usage of “whom” is correct.  Feel fee to edit!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment