Thursday, July 22, 2010

Longing

I have been experiencing a deep longing for the sea for several days. I think it is actually a spiritual longing for God. The sea is very calming to me, even during a storm, as it represents the strength and depth and ferocity of the love of God to me. I will try to go to the seaside this weekend, to satisfy both..

I wanted to be a nun from the time I knew they were women who sought God above all things. I have therefore read most everything written by and about nuns since I could read. I am presently reading "Convent," a novel about a young woman who enters the convent during the 60's and eventually leaves. The curious thing about the novel is that it lacks emotion. It tells, instead of showing - I wonder if there was a lack of a good editor, or whether the author, who has veiled telling her own personal story, cannot bring herself to share her feelings about things. It's written as if by a sociopath, which is a pecular experience! I will continue reading it for the information it contains, but it strikes me deeply that this is a story about someone who was never actually stricken by a deep longing for God. Very strange!

I find myself praying for the author and hoping she has found peace of heart and mind.

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to be a nun as well, and I still want to be a nun- just a married one :) I already consider myself devoted to God above all things so maybe in that sense I already am a semi-nun ;)

    Also I have dreams about the sea almost every other night. They are usually amazing, comforting dreams. I have never heard it linked to God before but that is cool to think about.

    ReplyDelete