Wednesday, July 24, 2013


Here is a poem I was given during a dark time in my life.

Treasure Hidden in a Field of Despair



The sadness flows around me
I can neither explain nor escape it.
The sun shines but my heart weeps
An abyss of pain that overshadows all.
Small sorrows yield rivers of tears
I can only say, “Jesus, Son of David have mercy on me”

The disconnect between reality and my feelings
Is jarring
Crazy-making distance between
What’s going on and the wild cry
“What’s going on???”

The music of God is silenced by
Crashing metal noise.
My peace is hidden from me
Behind torrents of anguish.
Jesus, Son of David have mercy on me.


Yet what glint of dawn is this
Arising from the void?
What whisper there upon the wind
Sounds so tenderly sweet, so kind?
            It is the Lord, come with mercy
For me.
            O Jesus, Son of David,
Long have I loved thee.  Long have I sought thee.

And I would again enter the dark if it be thy will,
For nothing can separate us.  Love is stronger than death.
And the dark an illusion created by self-centeredness
And the weakness of humanity.
            O Jesus Son of David,
Let it be done unto me according to thy word.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment