Thursday, August 1, 2013

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing



A certain Bishop of an Independent Catholic Church was in the news today because he was arrested for falsifying government papers.  Specifically, he was signing off on community service hours for probationers who would give him “hugs” of a rather intimate nature.  This same man has apparently also served federal time for mortgage fraud.    

I write of him because his web site shows a picture on its Vocations page of my own Bishop, Joseph A. Grenier, Ph.D., ordaining a woman priest of the Celtic Christian Church, of which Bp. Grenier is the Presiding Bishop.  Another priest of the CCC is also pictured.  The implication is that the CCC has something to do with the church presided over by Charles Leigh.  It does not.

I find it deeply offensive that this picture is presented on a page Mr. Leigh presumes to copyright in his own name.  It is not captioned, nor properly attributed.  It is therefore fraudulent.  There are far too many people out there who prey on the marginalized in our world. 

As a Board Member of the Celtic Christian Church, as well as a priest owing obedience to Bishop Grenier, I intend to demand that the picture be removed.  Bishop Joe is a holy and prayerful man.  The CCC cannot permit any suggestion that it is in any way associated with this wolf in sheep’s clothing.  I will pray for this man, but I will not legitimate his claims to holiness in any way, shape or form.  It is an insult to our many truly good priests, who have, by the way, passed a police background check and a psychological evaluation prior to ordination.

I delayed all day long in writing this because it so infuriated me and I do try not to speak in anger.  After praying all day and consulting my Abbess, I have decided that not to speak would be wrong.  May the High King of Heaven protect those who sincerely try to serve the People of God.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment